Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Technology is ruining our progeny!


Today's parents are too self-absorbed and lazy to deal with their children.

That's why they shove an iPad or smartphone at their kids to sooth and shut them up. That way, they don't need to raise them. Let "TECHNOLOGY" raise them.

This is very scary...we're essentially creating a generation of kids who can't communicate or relate to others except through electronics. And it's our own fault.

I see a few reasons for this whole thing:

  1. Decentralization/suburban sprawl has all but eliminated the neighborhood elementary schools. Therefore, kids don't walk to school anymore. They don't come home for lunch (like I used to). They don't play outside. Their idea of playing with others is to have them over and sit in front of a computer and watch YouTube videos. We must arrange "playdates." When I was a kid, if my mom said the word "playdate," I think I would have run away. I'm not going on a date with Johnny - NO WAY! I'll go over to his house and play baseball, but I'm not going to date him, by God!
  2. People are greedy and materialistic - they "need" two incomes to finance their oversized homes and overpriced cars. This means that the mom (or dad) is not actually raising the children. Daycare (and technology) is the substitute. 
  3. Without parental guidance, children are left to "learn" right and wrong: from YouTube, Facebook, etc. 
  4. Because they rarely see their children, parents feel they must be "pals" with their children. They pacify them instead of disciplining them. They provide technology instead of life lessons. Parents are so self-absorbed, they can't be away from their iPhone for more than 10 seconds - constantly checking to see what everyone else is doing on Facebook.

How can we expect our kids to stay away from technology when we play with our "smartphone" toys all day long?

What the hell are we doing to our kids?

Please stop the insanity!

No comments: